The program supports research and production of new animated work by artists through a combination of funding and in-kind resources. After the success of the last four years of TAIS’ artists in residence program, the boundaries continue to expand for the types of works year five aims to support.
The fifth year of the program is seeking ONE (1) Canadian artist and ONE (1) International artist to each engage in self-directed work, towards the completion of a new independent animated film or video. This residency comes with a combination of monetary funding and in-kind use of studio space, equipment and resources at TAIS Studios, located at 1411 Dufferin Street, in downtown Toronto.
Founded in 1984, the Toronto Animated Image Society (TAIS) is an organization dedicated to exploring and promoting the art of animation through production, screenings, workshops and exhibitions. As an artist-run production centre, TAIS provides affordable access to space and equipment; offering services to independent artists who make animated films within contemporary art practices.
- The Canadian Artist Residency is three-month long, taking place over consecutive months between May 2019 and March 2020. The goal for this Canadian Artist Residency is to emerge with a finished work. The selected Canadian artist will be awarded with $9,000, comprised of $3,000 in-kind towards 3-months of studio space, equipment and resources at TAIS Studios, and $6,000 in cash funding for the project.
- The International Artist Residency is one-month long, and will take place over consecutive weeks between May 2019 and March 2020. The goal for this International Artist Residency is to experiment with the resources available at TAIS to advance or complete a work. The selected International artist will be awarded with $3,500, comprised of $1,500 in-kind towards studio space, equipment and resources at TAIS Studios, and $2,000 in cash funding for the project.
- Applicants must be TAIS members (of any level) to be eligible; non-members wishing to apply may register for membership on the TAIS website (Member fees: $20/year Supporting Membership, $50/year Studio Membership.)
- For this Residency program, it is imperative that the selected artist(s) plan to interact and experiment with TAIS equipment and resources. Proposals that are strictly research or pre-production without any actual production component are not eligible.
- Proposals must be for projects that are entirely or predominantly involving animation production. Multi or mixed media proposals are welcome, however the work must be considered as an animated project (involving the illusion of motion and/or change by means of the rapid succession of sequential images)
The Toronto Animated Image Society (TAIS), and any funding sponsors of the program, must be acknowledged in the finished work.
Limited travel, accommodations, and materials coverage may be available through this program.
The selected artist is able to contribute additional funding from other sources. TAIS will provide letters of support as needed, toward additional funding for the artist.
Applications open from 13 August 2018.
The 2019 Artist in Residence Program is presented with the support of the Canada Council for the Arts, the Ontario Arts Council, and the Toronto Arts Council.