The 6 finalists for the Cartoon D'Or award (Best European short animated film) have been announced.
Cartoon D'Or is the premiere European award for the best European short animated film of the year. It was created in 1991 by CARTOON to counteract the lack of awards for animation insie the major European festivals and awards (Cannes, Berlin, Venice Film Festival etc.) Each year it selects 5-6 nominees, whose films have already received a prize at the partner animation festivals (such as Annecy, Anifest, Stuttgart, Zagreb etc.).
This year's finalists include the Annie-nominated Regina Pessoa with her compassionate story of Kali, the little vampire .
The tour de force of the newcomer UK animator, Tim Reckart, Head Over Heels, a stop-motion film of a couple upside down is another Cartoon D'Or entry. Another UK entry in the race for the best European short animated film is the recently Annecy-awarded I Am Tom Moody, by Ainslie Henderson.
2 films produced in France, the stop-motion film Women's Letters (Augusto Zanovello) and the funny Écart de Conduite (Rocio Alvarez), as well as Betty's Blues (France/Belgium) by Rémi Vandenitte complete the list.
See all 6 nominated films for 2013:
- Betty's Blues by Rémi Vandenitte (12 mn, France / Belgium, 2013) Prod: Les Films du Nord / La Boîte, ... Productions
- Head Over Heels by Timothy Reckart & Fodhla Cronin O'Reilly (10mn 20s, UK, 2012). Prod: NFTS
- I Am Tom Moody by Ainslie Henderson (6mn 55s, UK, 2012) Prod: Edinburgh College of Art
- Kali the Little Vampire by Regina Pessoa (9mn 20s, Portugal / France / Canada / Switzerland, 2012) Prod: Ciclope Filmes / ONF / Folimage / GDS
- Off the Track (Ecart de conduite) by Rocio Alvarez (4mn 7s, France, 2012) Prod: La Poudrière
- Women's Letters (Lettres de femmes) by Augusto Zanovello (11mn 15s, France, 2013) Prod: Pictor Media / Xbo Films
The 2013 jury was composed of producer Didier Brunner from Les Armateurs (France) and directors Anca Damian (Romania) and Enrique Gato (Spain). See all the eligible films that were entered into consideration.