All the winners of the 42nd Annecy Festival.
The juries awarded 19 prizes on Saturday 16th June at the closing ceremony of the 42nd Annecy International Animation Film Festival.
Nienke Deutz was the big winner (Cristal for a Short Film) for her Bloeistraat 11 (LUNANIME BVBA, NEED PRODUCTIONS, WINDMILL FILM, BEAST ANIMATION Belgium, The Netherlands).
Inseparable best friends spend their last summer holiday of childhood amusing themselves around the house. As summer progresses their bodies start to morph and shift and an awkwardness descends on their friendship. Puberty seems determined to interrupt their bond.
Weekends by former Pixar artist Trevor Jimenez won the Jury Award, whereas a Special Jury Distinction was reserved for the Croatian/France sex summer comedy (2D/3D) Cyclists by Veljko Popovic. Watch the trailer.
Italian Martina Scarpelli justly won the Award for Best First Film at Annecy Festival with her power play between herself and food in The Egg.
In the feature films, the politically charged Funan by Denis Do beat the audience favorite (Audience Award at Annecy 2018 as well) and Oscar-nominated The Breadwinner by Nora Tworney;The Breadwinner also took home the Jury Prize.
Funan is the story of a young woman who must learn how to stand up for herself, exist in the regime of the Khmer Rouge, survive and find her son who was kidnapped during their forced exile from Phnom Penh.
Special distinction for the impenetrable but still beautifully made stop-motion Chilean story, The Wolf House by Cristóbal León and Joaquín Cociña.
Two UK films, Barbeque by Jenny Jokela and Inanimate by Lucia Bulgheroni [see her interview here] won the Cristal for Best Film and the Jury Award respectively in the Graduation Competition.
Special distinction to the French MOPA school film, Hybrids. Here's the trailer
Full Awards List:
TV AND COMMISSIONED FILMS
- Commissioned films Jury Award :Mark Lotterman "Happy", Alice Saey / France, The Netherlands
- Cristal for a Commissioned Film: Leica "Everything in Black and White", Mateus de Paula Santos (VETOR ZERO / LOBO, Brazil)
- Jury Award for a TV Series: We Bare Bears "Panda's Art" ( Daniel Chong / CARTOON NETWORK STUDIOS / USA)
- Jury Award for a TV Special: The Robot Chicken Walking Dead Special: Look Who's Walking , Thomas Sheppard ( STOOPID BUDDY STOODIOS / USA)
- Cristal for a TV Production: PIG: The Dam Keeper Poems "Yellow Flower", "Hello Nice to Meet You", Erick Oh ( TONKO HOUSE LLC / USA, Japan)
- Jury Distinction : Hybrids, Florian Brauch, Matthieu Pujol, Kim Tailhades, Yohan Thireau, Romain Thirion ( MOPA (SUPINFOCOM ARLES) / France)
- Jury Award: Inanimate, Lucia Bulgheroni (NFTS – NATIONAL FILM AND TELEVISION SCHOOL / United Kingdom)
- Cristal for a Graduation Film: Barbeque, Jenny Jokela (RCA – ROYAL COLLEGE OF ART / United Kingdom)
ANIMATION OFF-LIMITS SHORT FILMS
- Off-Limits Award (tied) : An Excavation of Us, Shirley Bruno (LE FRESNOY – STUDIO NATIONAL DES ARTS CONTEMPORAINS / France, Greece, Haiti)
- Off-Limits Award (tied): Boy Transcoded from Phosphene, Rodrigo Faustini (Brazil)
- Audience Award/Première: The Breadwinner, Nora Twomey ( CARTOON SALOON, AIRCRAFT PICTURES, MELUSINE PRODUCTIONS / STUDIO 352 / Canada, Ireland, Luxembourg)
- Jury Distinction: The Wolf House, Cristóbal León, Joaquín Cociña (DILUVIO / Chile)
- Jury Award: The Breadwinner, Nora Twomey (CARTOON SALOON, AIRCRAFT PICTURES, MELUSINE PRODUCTIONS / STUDIO 352 / Canada, Ireland, Luxembourg)
- Cristal for a Feature Film: Funan, Denis Do ( LES FILMS D'ICI, LUNANIME BVBA, BAC FILMS, WEBSPIDER PRODUCTIONS, ITHINKASIA / Belgium, Cambodia, France, Luxembourg)
- Audience Award: Weekend, Trevor Jimenez (PAST LIVES PRODUCTIONS / USA)
- Jury Distinction Biciklisti, Veljko Popovic (LEMONADE 3D / KRUPNI KADAR, BAGAN FILMS / Croatia, France)
- "Jean-Luc Xiberras" Award for a First Film: Egg, Martina Scarpelli (MIYU PRODUCTIONS, LATE LOVE / France, Denmark)
- Jury Award: Weekends, Trevor Jimenez (PAST LIVES PRODUCTIONS /USA)
- Cristal for a Short Film, Bloeistraat 11, Nienke Deutz (LUNANIME BVBA, NEED PRODUCTIONS, WINDMILL FILM, BEAST ANIMATION Belgium, The Netherlands)
Dominique Puthod, Chairman, Mickaël Marin, Managing Director, Marcel Jean, Artistic Director, and all of the CITIA team would like to pay tribute to the fantastic work of their CEO, Patrick Eveno, during the last 12 years and express their immense gratitude.
The 2019 Festival will take place between 10th and 15th June and it will honour Japanese animation. It will be an unmissable event for discovering Japanese culture and its most famous classic films.
Sign Up: Stay updated on European and Independent Animation News. Subscribe to our Newsletter.