Call for entries:
Fantoche searches for the best animated short films from all over the world every year. Animated shorts of all kind and techniques are eligible for Fantoche’s 2018 competitions if they’ve been completed after 31 March 2017 and last no longer than 40 minutes.
Eligible for the Swiss Competition are films by Swiss filmmakers, filmmakers living in Switzerland or with Swiss producers or co-producers.
Competitions and Awards:
International Competition: Total prize fund 26'000 CHF
– Best Film: For a convincing combination of idea and implementation, content and form.
– High Risk: For visionary originality and the uncompromising exploration of the art of animation.
– New Talent: For the best film by a student or for a first film.
– Best Sound: For the most impressive sound design.
– Best Visual: For the most outstanding and most imaginative visual design.
The public also chooses its favorite film – the Audience Award.
Swiss Competition: Total prize fund 21'000 CHF
– Best Swiss: For a convincing combination of idea and implementation, content and form.
– High Swiss Risk: For visionary originality and the uncompromising exploration of the art of animation.
– New Swiss Talent: For the best Swiss film by a student or for a first film.
– Fantastic Swiss: For the best fantastic Swiss film.
A Swiss Jury of six young Swiss cineasts from various provinces and language regions will select the winner of the „Swiss Youth Award“.
The winner of the Swiss Audience Award will be selected by the viewers.
Kids Film Competition: Total prize fund 2'000 CHF
International Competition: Experimentation and tradition
The main criterion for film selection is innovation. Fantoche’s “International Competition” principally offers a forum for animated films which veer away from conventions of the genre in terms of aesthetics, content or technique, which scrutinize them skillfully or which are audacious enough to turn them on their head. It particularly welcomes projects which push the boundaries of expression of animation further, which seek to experiment and which stand apart thanks to their artistic independence.
However, Fantoche is interested, at the same time, in classical, conventional auteur films, and its selection includes animated films which offer a striking, persuasive blend of idea and implementation, and of content and form. They are deliberately juxtaposed with experimental entries. This is because Fantoche is trying to locate the friction that exists between vision and tradition, offering an insight into the creative wealth of animated film-making.
Swiss Competition: The selection criteria for the “Swiss Competition” correspond to those of the “International Competition”: Fantoche organizers want to see new trends, fresh talents and interesting experiments, alongside established auteur films and animation. All Swiss productions which are entered in the “International Competition” are also added to the selection for the “Swiss Competition” and can be nominated for both competitions at the same time.
Kids Competition: The short films of the “Kids Film Competition” are chosen from the entries for the “International Competition” and for the “Swiss Competition”. The selection is always made in close consultation with the “Zauberlaterne” (The Magic Lantern), the film club for kids. The main criteria applied are that they have good, clever story lines, are packed with ideas, cover a variety of themes and exemplify different techniques.