Of the 1400 submissions from 72 countries, the Festival's programming team selected 26 hours of films, which were screened by the Selection Jury, constituted by Margarida Madeira, Mário Gajo de Carvalho and Regina Machado.
This year there are three Portuguese films in the International Competition running alongside with the biggest names in the world of animation for the Award CINANIMA 2019. “Uncle Tomás, accounting for the days”, by Regina Pessoa; “Purpleboy”, by Alexandre Siqueira and“ A Mind Sang”, by Vier Nev, suming up 45 films in the International Competition for Short Films.
Four feature films from the 23 submitted were selected for international competition: “Away”, by Gints Zilbalodis (Latvia); “The Tower” by Mats Grorud (Norway); Otto Guerra's “Pirate City” (Brazil) and “Titus and the Birds”, by Gustavo Steinberg, Gabriel Bitar and André Catoto (Brazil).
Concerning the National Competition, the Festival will have in 2019, 10 works competing for the António Gaio Award and 16 competing for the Young Portuguese Director Award.
2018 Cinanima Festival Coverage (12-18 Nov 2018):
CINANIMA is an OSCAR® qualifying Festival. Works concluded after the 1st of January 2018 and which have not been presented for selection in previous editions of the Festival are eligible.
1. INTERNATIONAL COMPETITION SHORT FILMS
In this International Competition there are the following categories:
• Up to five minutes;
• More than 5 up to 24 minutes;
• More than 24 up t0 50 minutes;
• Commissioned Films – Commercials and Information;
• Animated Documentary.
Note: All those applying to International Competition – Short Films can only choose one category.
2. INTERNATIONAL COMPETITION FEATURE FILMS Eligible: Films with more than 50 minutes.
3. INTERNATIONAL STUDENT FILMS COMPETITION: Films directed by students or graduates and produced at Art Schools, Film Schools or Training Schools for Animated Film, under 50 minutes long are admitted. This Prize has the designation of Gaston Roch Award.
4. NATIONAL COMPETITION: In the National Competitive Section there are the following categories:
• ANTÓNIO GAIO Award – Best Film in the National Competition;
• BEST YOUNG PORTUGUESE DIRECTOR Award:
− Films directed by Children and Youngsters (until the age of 18);
− First films directed by Young Directors (more than 18 up to 30 years old).
About the Festival
CINANIMA has the approval of the International Film Association – ASIFA - and is officially considered by the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences as one of the qualifying festivals for the Oscar nomination for the Best Animation Short Film
CINANIMA– INTERNATIONAL ANIMA TED FILM FESTIVAL OF ESPINHO – CINANIMA 2019 – 43nd edition- is organised by NASCENTE – Cooperative Soci ety with Cultural Purposes – and by the CITY HALL OF ESPINHO with the support of the MINISTRY OF CULTURE / ICA I.P. - INSTITUTE OF CINEMA AND AUDIOVISUAL and other public and private entities.