12 feature films have been selected for the 2013 edition of Anima, Brussels. See the lineup, and watch the festival trailer.
The annual Anima Festival (8-17 February 2013) is the first stop on the Brussels festival circuit, and this year will be spotlighting 150 new animated films in different categories coming from all over the world.
The Annecy-awarded documentary Crulic [review] by Anca Damian headlines the Anima feature selection, and tells the story of a Romanian prisoner in Kracow 2007, who goes on a hunger strike. (Now also in French theaters) The tender and dramatic story A Letter to Momo [review] by Hiroyuki Okiuru is one of the four anime offering in the Anime selection.
The acclaimed Mamoru Hosoda (Girl who leapt through time, Summer Wars) also competes with his new feature, Wolf Children [info-trailer].
The Japanese participation closes with Makoto Shinkai's supernatural saga Children Who Chase Lost Voices From Deep Below [review], and Toshiyuki Kubooka's Berserk: The Golden Age.
Latin America participates with the stop-motion adventure, Selkirk: The real Robinson Crusoe (Walter Tournier) [info-trailer]. Spain has two entries: the gothic The Apostle (Fernando Cortizo, dir) [review] and the highly successful comedy in the Spanish box office Tadeo Jones (Enrique Gato, dir.).
Two entries from South Korea (Padak and The King of Pigs) , and a single entry from Denmark (Gummi T) complete the list.
The full list:
- Asura, Keeichi Sato, Japan, 2012, 01: 15.
- Berserk : Ougon Jidai-Hen I « Haou No Tamago » (Berserk : The Golden Age Arc I « The High King's Egg »), Toshiyuki Kubooka, Japan, 2011, 01: 20.
- Crulic – Drumul Spre Dincolo (Crulic - The Path To Beyond), Anca Damian, Romania / Poland, 2011, 01: 13.
- Gummi T (Pudding T), Michael Hegner, Denmark, 2012, 01: 20.
- Hoshi O Ou Kodomo (Children Who Chase Lost Voices From Deep Below), Makoto Shinkai, Japan, 2011, 01: 56.
- Momo E No Tegami (A Letter to Momo), Hiroyuki Okiura, Japan, 2011, 02: 00.
- O Apostolo, Fernando Cortizo, Spain, 2012, 01: 22.
- Okami kodomo no Ame to Yuki (Wolf Children), Mamoru Hosoda, Japan, 2012, 01: 57.
- Padak, Dae-hee Lee, South Korea, 2012, 01: 18.
- Selkirk, El Verdadero Robinso Crusoe, Walter Tournier, Uruguay/Argentina/Chile, 2012, 01: 20.
- Tadeo Jones (Tad, l'Eplorateur), Enrique Gato, Spain, 2012, 01: 25.
- The King of Pigs, Sang-Ho Yeun, South Korea, 2011, 01: 37.
FEATURES OUT OF COMPETITION:
- Ronal Barbaren (Ronal, the Barbarian), Thorbjorn Christoffersen/Kresten Vestjberg Andersen, Denmark, 2011, 01: 30.
- Anima Buenos Aires, Maria Veronica Ramirez, Carlos Loiseau (Caloi), Pablo Rodriguez Jauregui, Florencia Faivre, Pablo Faivre, Carlos Nine, Argentina/Spain, 2012, 01: 53.
The winner of the 2012 Anima festival (feature competition) was the metaphysical, heartfelt anime Colorful by Keiichi Hara.
Visit the Anima festival page for the full festival programme, and watch the trailer for the festival below, made by Enzo Piccinato (Grid) and soundtrack by Christophe Gérard (Sonicville)