CEE Animation Forum 2020 as Virtual Pitching and B2B Event in October
- ZF Team
The CEE Animation Forum, the largest industry and pitching platform for animated projects in development in the CEE region is going to be held online from 6 to 8 October 2020.
The CEE Animation Forum is the leading pitching, financing and co-production event focusing on the animation industry, usually held annually in the Czech Republic in parallel to the International Festival of Animated Films Anifim. Due to the ongoing global situation, the event will take place online this year.
Even with some adjustments to the new format, the focus remains on the pitching of animated projects in development. As in previous years, the new compilation of debuting filmmakers CEE Animation Talents will be introduced. A special emphasis is placed on 1:1 industry meetings, implementing a new online meeting platform. The online edition will bring together producers, directors, animators, script advisors, broadcasters, distributors, representatives of market events, festivals, trainings or film funds. The programme is also open to students but without access to 1:1 meetings.
28 films in development will participate in the pitching competition in 4 categories: short films, series / TV specials, feature films and a new section of XR projects for the first time in the 8-year tradition of the event. During recent months, all the pitching teams received coaching on how to prepare an online video pitch, provided by Matthieu Darras and Bonnie Williams.
The international jury will consist of experienced film professionals. Pre-recorded pitches in the category short films will be followed by Wendy Griffiths (Dark Prince), Karsten Matern (Balance Film GmbH) and Anna Zača (Latvian Animation Association, Riga IFF) | the category series / TV specials: Stefan Pfaffle (KiKA – Der Kinderkanal von ARD und ZDF), Michaela Sabolcakova (RTVS – Radio and Television of Slovakia), Nils Stokke (Spark) | the category feature films: Annemie Degryse (Lunanime / Lumiere Group), Jakub Karwowski (LETKO), Esben Toft Jakobsen (Animation Director & Writer) | the category XR: Milivoj Popovic (Prime Render Studios), Veljko Popovic (Prime Render Studios), Manu Weiss (Freelance).
The pitching projects compete for the main CEE Animation Forum financial awards, free scholarships for training programmes CEE Animation Workhop or Animation Sans Frontieres, direct selections for prestigious European events such as Cartoon Forum, Cartoon Movie and Animation Production Days or full accreditations offered by partner organizations Animarkt, Kids Kino Industry and others.
The majority of the selected teams come from Central and Eastern Europe: 5 from the Czech Republic and Croatia, 4 from Hungary, 2 from Slovakia and 1 project from Bulgaria, Estonia, Georgia, Lithuania, Poland, Romania, Slovenia and Ukraine. There are also 2 projects from France and 1 project from Germany, Great Britain, Iceland, Italy, Japan, Norway, Portugal, Spain and USA.
In both categories (shorts and series/TV specials), the female proportion has exceeded 50% (directors & producers). With 8 series projects by female directors, the ratio has reached a record of 80%.
CATEGORY SHORT FILMS IN DEVELOPMENT
- 27, p. Gabor Osvath, BODDAH, d. Flora Anna Buda (Hungary)
- Face Recognition, p. Kalev Tamm, Eesti Joonisfilm, d. Martinus Klemet (Estonia)
- Hoodies and Sunglasses, p. Manon Messiant, Iliade et Films (France), d. Fabian Balogh (Hungary)
- In Her Face, p. Mario Patrocínio, BRO Cinema, d. Margarida Madeira (Portugal)
- Just Between Us, p. Masa Udovicic, Luma Film, d. Petra Balekic (Croatia)
- Love, Dad, p. Karolina Davidova, 13ka (Czech Republic), d. Diana Cam Van Nguyen (Czech Republic, Vietnam)
- That Castle, p. Zuzana Jankovicova, Super film (Slovakia), d. Kaoru Furuko (Japan)The Garden of Heart, p. Balint Gelley, CUB Animation Ltd., d. Oliver
- Hegyi (Hungary)
- The Pet Named Stress, p. Drasko Ivezic, Adriatic Animation, d. Laura Martinovic (Croatia)
- The Voice, p. Vessela Dantcheva, Compote Collective, d. Ivan Bogdanov (Bulgaria)
CATEGORY SERIES / TV SPECIALS IN DEVELOPMENT
- A Little Pilot, p. Petr Babinec, Kouzelná animace, d. Eliska Chytkova (Czech Republic)
- Baldies, p. Jiri Sadek, COFILM, scriptwriter: Eliska Podzimkova (Czech Republic)
- Betti and Lola, p. Drasko Ivezic, Adriatic Animation, d. Hana Tintor (Croatia)
- Daisy and Dot, p. Géza M. Tóth, KEDD Animation Ltd., d. István Heim (Hungary)
- Flying Katy, p. Jure Vizjak, Invida, d. Jernej Zmitek (Slovenia)
- Frickin’Times, p. Irek Krett, xkopp creative (Germany), d. Irek Krett
- Milkshake Bar, p. Agne Adomene, Art Shot, d. Urtė Oettinger (Lithuania)
- No Happily Ever After, p. Mária Móťovská, Helium film s.r.o. (Slovakia), d. Gabriela Plačková, Alžběta Göbelová (Czech Republic)
- Ormhildur the Brave, p. Heather Millard, Compass Films, d. Thorey Mjallhvit (Iceland)
CATEGORY FEATURE FILMS IN DEVELOPMENT
- Cricket & Antoinette, p. Dino Krpan, Diedra, d. Luka Rukavina (Croatia)
- Fichtelberg, p. Michal Kracmer, Cineart TV Prague, d. Simon Koudela (Czech Republic)
- IGI, p. Vladimer Katcharava, 20 Steps Productions, d. Natia Nikolashvili (Georgia)
- King Wray, p. Sorin Baican, Studioset, d. Anton & Damian Groves (Great Britain / Romania)
- The Black Swallow, p. Sebastien Hussenot, La Luna Productions, d. Louis J. Gore (France)
- Trouble Nubble Gum, p. Michael Margulis, Studio KAPI, d. Rostyslav Garbar (Ukraine)
Cricket & Antoinette
CATEGORY XR IN DEVELOPMENT
- Cosmogonic, p. Marta Szarzyńska, Kinhouse Studio (Poland), d. Paweł Szarzyński (Poland), Lauren Dubowski (USA)
- Immortal, p. Renato Grgic, Narrativium Design d.o.o., d. Kristijan Petrovic (Croatia)
- Paperback VR, p. Giedre Burokaite, Meno avilys, d. Robertas Nevecka (Lithuania)
Jury: Short Films pitching competition:
Wendy Griffiths (Dark Prince, CEO & Producer, United Kingdom), Karsten Matern (Balance Film GmbH, Production Manager, Germany), Anna Zača (Latvian Animation Association, Riga International Film Festival, Head of Association, Curator of Baltic Animation Meet-Up and SHORT RIGA at RIGA IFF, Latvia)
Series / TV Specials pitching competition:
Stefan Pfaffle (KiKA – Der Kinderkanal von ARD und ZDF, Deputy Head of Fiction & Co-Production, Germany) , Michaela Sabolcakova (RTVS – Radio and Television of Slovakia, Programme Editor & Buyer, Slovakia), Nils Stokke (Spark, Producer & CEO, Norway)
Feature Films pitching competition:
Annemie Degryse (Lunanime / Lumiere Group, Co-owner & Producer, Belgium), Jakub Karwowski (LETKO, Producer, Poland), Esben Toft Jakobsen (Animation Director & Writer, Denmark)
VR pitching competition:
Milivoj Popovic (Prime Render Studios, Director & Producer, Croatia), Veljko Popovic (Prime Render Studios, Director & Owner, Croatia), Manu Weiss (Freelance, XR Producer & Curator, Switzerland)
Tuesday Oct 6
10:00 – 11:15 | Opening & Pitching Category Short Films
11:30 – 13:00 | Pitching Category Series / TV Specials
14:00 – 21:00 | 1:1 meetings
Wednesday Oct 7
10:00 – 11:00 | Pitching Category Feature Films
11:30 – 12:00 | Pitching Category VR
14:00 – 21:00 | 1:1 meetings
Thursday Oct 8
10:00 – 14:00 | 1:1 meetings
14:00 – 14:30 | Award Ceremony
14:30 – 15:40 | Screening CEE Animation Talents
16:00 – 21:00 | 1:1 meetings
18:00 – 19:00 | CEE Animation Forum Closing
CEE Animation Talents
The selection of six short films made by promising young filmmakers from the CEE region will be officially introduced. The focus is on extraordinary talents whose work promises successful future careers. The compilation is each year made by festival directors from the CEE region and presented together at numerous animated film festivals around the world.
- A Demonstration of Brilliance in Four Acts (d. Morten Tšinakov, Lucija Mrzljak, p. Kalev Tamm, Eesti Joonisfilm, Estonia, Draško Ivezic, Adriatic Animation, Croatia, 2018)
- Entropia (d. Flóra Anna Buda, p. József Fülöp, MOME, Hungary, 2019)
- SH_T HAPPENS (d. Michaela Mihalyi, David Štumpf, p. Peter Badač, Bfilm, Czech Republic, Slovakia, France, 2019)
- Soma (d. Sandra Jovanovska, p. Boštjan Potokar, University of Nova Gorica School of Arts, Slovenia, 2019)
- S P A C E S (d. Nora Štrbová, p. FAMU – Film and TV School of the Academy of Performing Arts in Prague, Czech Republic, 2019)
- The Little Soul (d. Barbara Rupik, p. Agata Golańska, The Polish National Film School in Lodz, Poland, 2019)
Join the online platform
All visitors are invited to use the virtual market place where they can follow (live or from the record) the pitches, opening & closing ceremony, CEE Animation Talents and directly book their meetings with other guests.
CEE Animation is supported by the Creative Europe – MEDIA Programme of the European Union and co-funded by state funds and foundations and professional organisations from Slovenia (DSAF, Slovene Animated Film Association), Czech Republic (ASAF, Association of Czech Animation), Hungary (HAPA, Hungarian Animation Producers Association), Poland (SPPA, Polish Animation Producers Association) and Slovakia (APAF, Slovak Association of Animated Film Producers).