Cheatin', L' Arte della Felicita, The Fake at 2014 Annecy Festival
- Written by ZF Team
Discover the official feature film selection of the 2014 Annecy festival.
9 animation feature films will compete at the 2014 Annecy Festival.Among them, the latest feature film (and a romance, nevertheless) by Bill Plympton Cheatin' (watch the trailer) between Ella and Jake, and magic all the way down.
It is not the first time Plympton has participated at the Annecy Festival, having won twice before, for his I Married a Strange Person (1998) and Mutant Aliens (2001).
L' Arte della Felicita /The Art of Happiness is an existential and spiritual film from Alessandro Rak [read the film review at Zippy Frames] of two brothers in Naples, and their own trajectory from childhood to separation.
The French film Miniscule: The Valley of the Lost Ants (Thomas Szabo, Hélène Giraud), which combines 3D and live-action is the sole French film in a category usually dominated by French productions.
Asphalt Watches is a Canadian feature, already awarded at 2013 Toronto International Film Festival (Best Canadian First Feature). Shayne Ehman and Seth Scriver describe a real road-trip in 2D animation within Canada, that promises a lot of raucus situations.
For a second time in a row, an animated feature from Brazil enters the Annecy competition, after Rio 2096: A Story of Love and Fury (Luiz Bolognesi) won the 2013 Annecy Cristal for best feature.
O menino e o mundo by Alê Abreu details the story of a kid who discovers a fantastic world of animals-machines, yet they reflect real problems.
Last Hijack by Femke Wolting and Tommy Palotta is a hybrid of live-action and animation, and details a very real situation and problem: Somalian ship piracy. Tommy Palotta has worked with Richard Linklater in animated features Waking Life and A Scanner Darkly.
The puppet film Lisa Limone ja Maroc Orange. tormakas armulugu (Lisa Limone and Maroc Orange: A Rapid Love Story, by Mait Laas) is an Estonian/Finnish retake on Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, yet here Romeo is an orange and Lisa a lemon.
Two Asian films are included in competition. Giovanni's Island by Mizuho Nishikubo is an anime about two brothers involved in WWII incidents.
The Fake by the South Korean Sang-ho Yeon (King of Pigs) is the most daring choice in the competition in terms of story. In a rural village, a priest schemes in order to defraud his flock [watch the trailer].
The full list:
- Asphalt Watches, Directed by: Shayne EHMAN, Seth SCRIVER Country: Canada
- Cheatin', Directed by: Bill PLYMPTON Country: United States
- Giovanni no Shima Directed by: Mizuho NISHIKUBO Country: Japan
- L'arte della felicità, Directed by: Alessandro RAK ,Country: Italy
- Last Hijack, Directed by: Femke WOLTING, Tommy PALLOTTA Country: Germany, Belgium, Ireland, Netherlands
- Lisa Limone ja Maroc Orange. tormakas armulugu, Directed by: Mait LAAS, Country: Estonia, Finland
- Minuscule - La Vallée des fourmis perdues Directed by: Thomas SZABO, Hélène GIRAUD Country: France
- O menino e o mundo, Directed by: Alê ABREU, Country: Brazil
- Saibi, Directed by: Sang-ho YEON, Country: South Korea
See also the 9 feature films out of competition:
- Até que a Sbórnia nos separe, Directed by: Otto GUERRA, Ennio TORRESAN JR. Country: Brazil
- Boonie Bears, Directed by: Liang DING Country: China
- Justin and the Knights of Valour, Directed by: Manuel SICILIA Country: Spain
- Ku! Kin-dza-dza, Directed by: Georgiy DANELIYA, Tatiana ILYINA Country: Russia
- Luz, anima, ação, Directed by: Eduardo CALVET Country: Brazil
- Manieggs - Revenge of the Hard Egg, Directed by: Zoltán MIKLÓSY Country: Hungary
- Moug, Directed by: Ahmed NOUR Country: Egypt, Morocco
- Resan Till Fjäderkungens Rike, Directed by: Esben TOFT JACOBSEN Country: Denmark, Sweden
- Truth Has Fallen, Directed by: Sheila SOFIAN, Country: United States
Annecy festival takes place at Annecy, France from 9 to 14 June 2014.